Ōtautahi Christchurch is the ideal place for start-ups, innovators and entrepreneurs.
The Canterbury Innovation Eco-system Map is a handy guide on start-up and innovation support available in Christchurch.
Advice, R&D and Funding
- Te Ōhaka Centre for Growth & Innovation - A city resource dedicated to the growth and success of all parties involved in Christchurch and Canterbury’s startup and innovation ecosystem.
- Business Mentors NZ - For advice, direction and to find out what’s involved in running a business.
- Ministry of Awesome - The starting point for making things happen in Christchurch. Free 30 min one-on-one session and attendance at a range of startup related events. For more information email Jacob Varghese.
- Regional Business Partners - Have high growth ambitions and are GST registered? Be connected with the right people and information to grow your business.
- X-Start - a technology-focused founder incubator providing ongoing, bespoke support to help ambitious businesses take their ideas global.
- Callaghan Innovation - Funding to help with R&D that is a technical stretch, apply for 'Getting Started' funding (offers 40% of project costs, maximum contribution $5k against a $12k project) and access to global experts. For more information email Rob Lawrence.
- Powerhouse Ventures - A commercialisation company to develop new startup businesses based on product or service ideas from research partners, such as Universities.
- KiwiNet – helping people in public research organisations who commercialise research, to access the tools, connections, investment and support they need to create amazing new products and services.
- Return On Science - A national research commercialisation programme who partners with organisations that have the ability to progress raw early-stage research into commercial projects. They have the skills and capacity to increase opportunities for commercialisation by bringing the necessary strategic impetus early in the research lifecycle.
- Canterbury Angels - Connects Canterbury investors with fast growing innovative NZ companies. Weekly drop-in appointments available.
- Christchurch Innovation and Sustainability Fund - to encourage innovative community, school or business projects that support the Council's vision and strategic priorities
Groups and Networks
- Christchurch Startup Meetup - Meetup with learnings from entrepreneurs giving it a go.
- Startup Christchurch - A community of early stage Christchurch startups and organisers of events such as Startup Weekend Christchurch, the Christchurch Startup Meetup, and other startup-focused activities.
- Kiwi Landing Pad & Marketing Jams - Offers programs, updates, community gatherings and information. Connect with your entrepreneurial peers in markets around the world.
- NZ Tech Startups EcoSystem - An open community of entrepreneurs, designers, software developers, advisors, investors and anyone who is interested in NZ startups.
- Christchurch Tech Startups - Find out about the various startup meetups happening in Christchurch.
Groups and Networks for Students
- UoC Centre for Entrepreneurship - Runs events, connects students with business mentors and offers internships in businesses. Contact Rachel Wright.
- Entre - Student-run company inspiring students to excel in the business world. Offers mentoring events and business connections.
- Momentum – student-led investment committees that focus on start-up ventures, particularly those originating from tertiary student and staff owned intellectual property and technologies.